Christian Union is the Christian group at La Trobe University in Bendigo. We are students from all sorts of backgrounds that share a common love of the gospel (or good news) of Jesus Christ as proclaimed in the Bible.
CU is part of the Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students, which is made up of similar uni groups from around the country.
Our aim at CU is to bring glory to God in everything that we do and in all that we are. Specifically we have three big aims. We want to see students Stand Firm in their Faith. Grow in their love and knowledge of Jesus, and Engage our campus with the good news of Jesus.
Whenever we gather in small groups and as big groups we meet to hear God speak to us in His Word, the Bible, and we respond to His Word as we speak to Him in prayer. Thus builds us up to serve him at Uni, in our local churches and out into the world.
So what does that look like?
There are a number of times when CUers get together, including:
- Wednesday 5:00pm – most students join us for ‘The Bible Talks’ on Tuesday afternoons. It’s where we meet hear from God’s word, the Bible, pray for one another. Afterwards (at 6:30pm) we enjoy dinner together and often have training on a topic or issue that’s helpful for us as Christian students to think through.
- Discipleship groups – CU-ers meet regularly throughout the week in Discipleship Groups of 4-6 students. These groups are great for mutual encouragement from God’s word and prayer.
- Lots of students also get the opportunity to read the Bible one to one and pray together with staff.
If you’d like to get involved please get in touch!
But what is a Christian?
Not sure what it means to be a Christian? For a start, it’s not about rules or rituals, but about a right relationship with God. Read about the Two Ways to Live for a short and straightforward explanation of the gospel.
More than that, we’d love to meet you and answer any questions you have, so come visit us!
What we believe
As a part of AFES, Christian Union also holds to their doctrinal basis which is a summary of what Christians believe and is included below. We uphold the fundamental truths of the Christian faith, including:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only though the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.